What is a “Public Adjuster”?

A Public Adjuster is a licensed and bonded insurance professional who assists policyholders with the complicated insurance claim process when they suffer a covered loss. They are involved in: Reviewing, Preparing, Negotiating, and Settling the Claim. A public adjuster will work to get their clients the maximum possible settlement from the insurance company as quickly as possible.

There are three types of adjusters licensed by the State of Florida:

  • Insurance Company Adjuster (Desk Adjuster) – is employed by an insurance company to represent the insurance company in dealing with your insurance claim. The insurance company adjusters’ main responsibility is to protect the interests of the insurance company.
  • Independent Adjuster (Field Adjuster) – is hired by the insurance companies to represent them in dealing with you, your loss and damages. The independent adjusters’ main responsibility is to protect the interests of the insurance company.
  • Public Adjuster – is the only Adjuster specifically licensed by the State of Florida to represent you, the Insured. The Public Adjusters main responsibility is to protect you and your interests in claims against a covered loss with the Insurance Company.

How are public adjusters paid?

Public adjuster is paid by the policyholder. Public Adjusters charge a percentage of the settlement for their service to you. The maximum percentage that a public adjuster in Florida can charge is 20% of the claim paid after you sign the contract with them. In the event of a declared emergency by the Governor’s office, that fee is reduced to 10% for any claim made in the first year after the date of loss. After the first year, the maximum amount that can be charged reverts back to 20%. The Public Adjuster is not paid until you receive a settlement check from the insurance company. There are no upfront fees for a public adjusters’ services.

In the event of a loss, what steps should I take?

First, promptly report the loss directly to your insurance company. You are required to do so according to terms within your policy. Secondly, stop the damage from spreading. Thirdly, take pictures of all the damages and any damaged personal property you may have. Lastly, retain the services of a Licensed, Bonded Public Adjuster to represent you and negotiate a fair settlement for your claim.

My Insurance company already paid my claim, but I don’t think its enough to cover the damages. What should I do?

Call us at Supreme Public Adjusting to schedule a free inspection. We will review your claim, estimate the true cost of your damages and get you the settlement you deserve!

Can I prepare my own claim?

Yes. However, it will be up to you to document every aspect of your loss and maintain constant contact with your insurance company to make sure your claim is progressing in a timely manner. Remember the insurance company has their own insurance professional representing them, why shouldn’t you hire a professional to represent you?